Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 09:36:10 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.ru>, Kevin Eliuk <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>, FreeBSD-Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, peter@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error installing pine-3.96

In message <11118.859817826@time.cdrom.com> "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
: branches of the OS.  Most porters are probably running 2.2 anyway, and
: if thud will start staying up more than 4-5 hours at a time, we can
: have them test the 3.0 operability there.
:
: Thoughts?

I think this is an excellent idea.  People like OpenBSD and NetBSD are
also starting to use the ports system are are running into problems
because those systems (surprise) aren't exactly like FreeBSD-current.
Some thought needs to be given to not gratuitously breaking things
that are working.  Also, some thought needs to be given to just how
much support can be given to those projects.  If someone is acftively
trying to make it work, that someone might get upset if things start
to break because they aren't needed for -current.

As for the 2.1.x issue at hand, just grab install from 2.2.x and it
will work for you.  If there is enough demand (like more than three
different people ask me), I'll backport the -d changes to -stable so
people can update more easily.

Finally, that said, it takes people to actually make sure that these
things work.  If there aren't people making sure that something is
working, then it isn't going to happen, no matter how noble and
desirable the end goal is going to be.  Maybe someone will consider it
in their best interest to fund something like this (there are plenty
of people that I can think of that would be good to throw money at).
Maybe one of the cdrom makers.  Maybe some business.  Maybe a
consortium of people that have enough money between them to make it
happen.  Heck, maybe it is just someone at some university that has
1000 FreeBSD machines that has a vested interest.  Somebody is going
to have to step up to the plate with either time or money.

Warner