Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 00:10:10 +0900
From:      Munehiro Matsuda <haro@h4.dion.ne.jp>
To:        ctm-announce@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        imp@harmony.village.org, mmeola@uswest.com, mckay@thehub.com.au
Subject:   Re: CTM mirrors

Hi all,

From: Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:08:42 +1000
::>And cvsup can't?  I've run it through many different firewalls in the
::>past, over socks5 proxies and a couple of other strange
::>configurations.  I'd be interested to hear how your environment is
::>different than mine that you can't run it.
::
::I don't know how common it is, but at my previous employer, nobody got
::to tunnel anything.  CTM was essential.  Well, essential if you wanted
::the FreeBSD source.  The only other alternative was to download the source
::using a browser (since the gateway required basic authentication).  That
::was a tedious manual process.

This was the same kind of reason, I started using CTM.

::Now that I'm doing all this at home, CTM is much better than cvsup since
::it encodes minimal differences (better for my download limit) and is quicker
::(cvsup often pauses contemplating its navel for long periods, and also
::sends a LOT of upstream data, which takes time).
::
::So, I'd say the main advantages are:
::
::1) Firewall friendly (for our disadvantaged corporate friends)
::2) Bandwidth/connection-time friendly (for our disadvantaged home users,
::   including me)

If I may add another advantage, it would be:

3) Ability to keep local changes, by its '.ctm' suffix scheme.

With this ability, I could do some hacking and still get the latest code
updated in '*.ctm' files. And this is the main reason I stll use CTM.

I also use a localy created shell script, that integrates changes from
CTM delta into local CVS tree, which is better than handling everything
checked out from cvsup.

  haro