Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 22:39:35 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>
To:        leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com (Marty Leisner)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: running  binutils 2.8, elf  support?

> Is there a way to crosscompile on linux for freebsd?

Dunno...

> I understand freebsd supports ELF.

Yes, the kernel support is there, the runtime linker etc is missing.

> Can I run the linux/elf gcc/as/ld with the write specs
> file (i.e. libraries and header files) to generate freebsd
> binaries?
>
> I looked on www.freebsd.org, and couldn't come up with
> anything useful...
> 	1) what do I need
> 	2) can I have some elf binaries I can try out?
>
> I didn't see any meaningful information in the handbook or FAQ
> sheet... (did I miss something?)

Not really, but there is work underways to make FreeBSD convert
to ELF. Peter Wemm, John Poltra and Myself have been working on
this lately, and we have our test systems running all ELF, so
it not that far away...
It wont happen overnight though, as there are ALOT of details
that needs to be sorted out, before we attempt to "morphe"
-current into ELF. It will happen though, but I can't give you
a time frame just yet, neither how its going to be done.
I can however guarantie that we will go for a method, that
causes the least possible pain for our -current users, but
remember -current is bleeding edge, and sometimes the edge is
not exactly userfriendly...

Please be patient, we are working on this as fast as we can...

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..