Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 1996 17:21:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      Karl Isham <karl@phbtsus.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adaptec 1540CP and DAT Drives

I am attempting to install a tape backup with an Adaptec 1540CP and
version 2.1.5 Release 0 running on a 486 Gateway machine.  The adapter
and the drive probe as advertised. Simple commands like rewind work fine.

However, when I try to tar a test file to the tape, the drive quits after
about 30 seconds, and I get the following complaints:

st0(aha0:0:0) timed out
adapter not taking commands.. frozen?!
Debugger("aha1542") called.
  AGAIN
tar: can't write to /dev/rst0: Input/output error
aha0: MBO 02 and not 00 (free)

This occurs with either of the tapes drives I have available: an HP 1533A or
a Sony SDT-S5200.

After reading the mail archives, I disabled Sync Negotiation and Fast SCSI,
but the same result prevails.

The HP 1533A does work with a borrowed Adaptec 1520A--but the Sony will not
work with the 1520A!

Any help is appreciated!

---
Karl Isham