Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 21:44:11 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1011843851.86d9e5@mired.org>
To:        Balaji <balajibsd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI disk sharing

Balaji <balajibsd@yahoo.com> types:
> hello there,
> I have two Symbios Logic 8100S adapter and I wish to share a ST5660N
> SCSI disk between two machines using these adapters. The SCSI BIOS
> doesn't load for these adapters. So we are not able to terminate the
> connection through the external SCSI ports.
> Please help me as to how this can be configured.
> The disk is recognised as /dev/da0 device on the machine to whose
> adapter I have connected the disk. But the other adapter does not
> recognize it.

This kind of hookup must have:

1) No terminators on the cables between the machines. Make sure the
   ST5660N isn't terminating things.

2) Both ends must be internally terminated. Either you have to have an
   internal cable with termination, or you have to set the board to
   terminate.

3) Everything on the chain must use a different SCSI ID. In
   particular, your two controllers have to have different IDs.

Note that accessing the drive from both systems at the same time is
liable to be hazardous to the health of your drive, unless you know
what you are doing.

	<mike