Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 1995 07:07:35 -0500
From:      mills@scsn.net (Patrick Mills)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Cyrix Cx486DRx-33/60

I have a major problem!  I just installed one of Cyrix's 386 to 486 upgrades
(going from an Intel 386-33 to Cx486DRx-33/60) and FreeBSD 2.0 has gone crazy!

I have FreeBSD installed on my second drive and everything works beautifully
when the 386 is installed.  But as soon as I install the 486 I get the following
messages:

wd1a: wdstart: timeout waiting to give command reading fsbn 2392 of
2392-2423 (wd1 bn 2455; cn 2 tn 6 sn 61) wd1: status ff <busy, rdy, wrtflt,
seekdone, drq, ecc_cor, index, err> error 1<no dam>
wd1: wdunwedge failed:
wd1: status ff <busy, rdy, wrtflt, seekdone, drq, ecc_cor, index, err> error
1<no dam>

This continues indefinitely and I have to hit the restart button.  NOTE:
The messages do not start immediately, sometimes it happens fast, sometimes
I can
go 10 minutes or so.

I talked to Cyrix and they seemed to think it was because the Cache was not
properly setup. They faxed me some docs on setting up the cache, but when I
examined locore.s I saw that the code was there.  I tried some new options
(such as changing CCR0_BARB to CCRO_FLUSH) and even completely disabling the
cache, but nothing worked.

I assume that someone else has installed one of these upgrades (thus the code).
If you know why this is happening and what I can do to fix it, PLEASE PLEASE
send me some email.  FreeBSD is completely useless right now!

                                                        -Pat Mills
                                                        mills@scsn.net