Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 2004 10:55:54 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: GEOM and retaste.

Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote this message on Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 13:32 +0200:
> I'm still fighting with 'stop' command for geom_mirror class.
> It should works, just like in my other class: turn off the given
> geom/provider/device.
> But for geom_mirror, I need to open all disks with r1w1e1 perms,
> so when I call 'stop' command and I close those disks, they are
> retasted and mirror is created once again.
> I don't want to touch metadata to mark all disks as inactve, because
> after kld module is unloaded and loaded again I want this mirror
> to be setup automatically.
>
> Any ideas?

Add state to the geom_mirror class to know what mirrors are disabled...
then when they appear, you just ignore them...  and make sure the
memory used by the state table is destroyed upon unload... and then
reload, they'll be back...

I can't think of any other way since geom itself doesn't know enough
information about the class to prevent you from tasting the devices
(and possibly coming up with only part of the mirror)...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579