Date:      Mon, 29 May 2017 11:10:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ed Schouten <ed@nuxi.nl>, =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Edward_Tomasz_Napiera=B3a?= <trasz@freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serial line terminal size.

> On Mon, 2017-05-29 at 13:22 +0200, Ed Schouten wrote:
> > Hi Edward,

> > >:
> > >
> > > There's a problem with serial consoles - after logging in, the
> > > terminal
> > > size is not set, ie it looks like this (notice the "0 rows; 0
> > > columns;"):
> > Wouldn't it make more sense for getty to set this up properly, as
> > opposed to putting it in all of the shell rc files?
> >

> I was thinking exactly the same thing a few days ago, but then I looked
> at the source code to getty and kinda backed away slowly and quietly,
> as one might do with any sleeping monster.

Now that I can agree with.   Getty has never been a friendly place.

I also think this belongs in Getty despite Warners concern that you
can not turn it off, as Getty alread does Termios stuff, which
you control via /etc/ttys, so there is a place to make a knob should
it be implemented in getty.

This is a specific issue to hardwired terminals, which is what
getty was written for.

It could also fixes the issues that I have pointed out in
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D10642 with col/row not being
reset between logins which yields the propose patch ineffective.