Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:50:50 +1100
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GGI

On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 05:51:21PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
>> Speaking of which (the Linux fb driver, not GGI), we're just adding a
>> driver to XFree86 4.0 that can use the Linux fb driver.  It is useful
>> from our point of view for getting initial unaccelerated support for
>> otherwise unsupported video cards.  I had a feeling that something
>> similar could be done for FreeBSD (using the VESA support in -current).
>> Is that right?  If so, is anyone interested in doing it?
>
>It should be very simple; basically all that's missing right now is the
>ability to get the linear framebuffer address information from the VESA
>BIOS back into user-space.  You should have no trouble mapping the
>video aperture.
>
>Would you want an interface for page-flipping etc. as well?  Any design
>proposals that would make life optimal for you?

Linear fb access is preferred, although we do have a more general way
of handling banked framebuffers in 4.0.  In the first instance I'm
looking for something fairly basic that sets a graphics mode and maps
the linear framebuffer.  We'd probably need information about the
framebuffer layout too (pitch, pixel size/format), and a way of
reading/writing the colourmap.

Unfortunately I don't have much time to spend on this myself at the
moment.  Is anyone else here interested in looking into it?

BTW, I notice that the kernel's VESA option can't be used with SMP.  Is
this restriction likely to go away?

David