Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 07:15:25 -0400
From:      Aaron Jeremias Luz <aaron@csh.rit.edu>
To:        "Marco A. Barbosa S." <mbarbosa@fciencias.ens.uabc.mx>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wierd video card (maybe a bit new...)

On Sun, May 24, 1998 at 11:23:46PM -0700, Marco A. Barbosa S. wrote:
> hello people,
>
> I went to read some stuff on the www site, and on the ftp site...
> and I could not find info about 2.2.6-RELEASE supporting a wierd
> video card named... Diamond Stealth II (S220), 4MB SGRAM...
> chipset verite 2100  or something...
>
> a friend is going to try to install X on  his machine, and he is
> kinda worried about the system not supporting his device...

I'm afraid the Rendition Verite series are not supported by XFree86.
Rendition is a small, fabricationless chip company with a vested
interest in keeping the architecture of its chips secret.  I'm also
fairly sure that no commercial X server is available for the chip.
It's too bad because I once had a Intergraph Reactor, based on the
V1000, and really loved it... (How else is Quake on a 486 bearable?)

> is there a driver for that thing? or do you know if it is kinda
> backwards compatible with a model in the driver list and which
> one is it... ? before he brings his machine and we start to
> try the Diamond card driver family for a close match...

The site you want to check for video card compatibility is
www.xfree86.org.  A good combination for FreeBSD / XFree86 /
Windows 95 would be the Matrox Millenium + Monster 3D.  I
replaced my V1000 with an ET6000, which is okay for small
monitors.

Aaron