Date:      Sat, 05 Apr 1997 23:49:35 +0900
From:      NISHIO Shuichi <nishio@caleche.kecl.ntt.co.jp>
To:        smp@csn.net
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: APIC_IO problem on Tyan S1668

Hello, thank you for your reply.

From: Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 12:09:55 -0700

> >(3) did "cvs update -Pd -D '02/10/97 00:00:00 GMT"
> actually Peter recommends:
>   cvs -q update -Pd -D '02/09/97 00:00:00 GMT'

I'm sorry, it's a typo: what I actually did was for 02/09/97.

> in reality I would recommend using the 3.0-970209-SNAP code without
> any cvs update.  this is what I am running here.

I have only updated the kernel: Besides the kernel, I am using the
3.0-970209-SNAP binaries distributed by ftp.
Should I recompile everything with the SMP kernel?

> >(4) applied the recent patch to exception.s
> >	(from <199703281714.KAA25923@Ilsa.StevesCafe.com>)
> this shouldn't have applied cleanly, since it should have already been
> applied to the source you supped.

After doing
>   cvs -q update -Pd -D '02/09/97 00:00:00 GMT'

that modification went away, so I added the following 3 lines manually.

> >   	pushl	$0				/* dummy unit to finish building intr frame */
> > + #ifdef SMP
> > + 	call	_get_mplock
> > + #endif /* SMP */
> >   	incl	_cnt+V_TRAP

> >(b) Do I need to recompile everything with the SMP kernel headers?
> >At least, dmesg didn't work, with the message
> >	kvm_read: Bad address

> you definately have something out of sync here.  I saw this same message
> when I tried running an older SMP kernel on the 3.0-970209-SNAP.
> till you can get rid of this don't expect anything to be reliable.

I don't know why, but dmesg shows an output now.
However, It contains a lot of binaries at the head of its output
(before "Copyright (c) 1992-1996 FreeBSD Inc.").
Moreover, every time I run dmegs, it gives a different length of binaries.

> revert to a 3.0-970209-SNAP system.
> use the SMP soure as is, no patches should be necessary.
> eliminate the kvm error before proceeding.

I'll try a kernel without the patch to exception.s, recompile libkvm.a
and dmesg, and see what happens.

NISHIO Shuichi