Date:      Thu, 03 Oct 2002 16:24:18 -0700
From:      Ken Marx <kmarx@vicor.com>
To:        FreeBSD Multimedia <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   static w/ vchans > 0

Hi,

On 4.4-RELEASE-p13, I have pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C>,
which requires virtual channels to do full duplex
audio:

pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C> at io 0x9000 irq 15 (1p/1r/2v channels duplex)

This works fine, but the playback tends to be pretty fuzzy/static-y.
I assume this is due to interleaving the dma (but could
be wrong, of course).

So, my questions are:

1. What causes this (if my guess is wrong)?
2. Is there a remedy short of getting a muti-channel card?

If the the anwer to #2 is no, then:

3. does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive alternative?

This is for a production system with as many as 100+ machines.
So cost is an issue.

Thanks,
k.
--
Ken Marx, kmarx@vicor-nb.com
We have to move. We must march shoulder to shoulder and slam dunk the