Date:      Thu, 08 Apr 1999 17:21:17 +0000
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@csl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   routed/gated confusion

OS: FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE

Although I've been doing UNIX for several years, I've always
managed to avoid learning about routes, etc. No more 8(.

I've read the on-line handbook, the FAQ, searched the mail
list archives and I'm still awaiting delivery of my copy of
"Complete FreeBSD". But I'm still unclear on a couple of
things. Mainly to do with when/why I should use routed or
gated. And then how to tell them to do what I want them to
do.

I have two PCs with 'BSD 3.1 on 'em. They are both dual
homed. Call them IN and OUT, with their "NIC names" IN-e0
IN-e1, OUT-e0 OUT-e1.

I want these two to function as routers. Specifically, to be
screening routers in a test bed network I'm setting up to
play with firewall configurations. So I have:

OUT			| IN
e0	192.168.0.1	| e0	192.168.0.4
e1	192.168.1.1	| e1	10.0.0.1

and the layout is like this:

"Internet end"                                         "LAN
end"
                   _________           ________
192.168.1.0 ----- |e1|OUT|e0| ------- |e0|IN|e1| -----
10.0.0.0
                   ---------           --------

I obviously need to set up routes on each machine so that I
can ping 10.0.0.1 from machine OUT, and also ping
192.168.1.1 from machine IN. So how do I do this? If I
understand correctly I only need static routes, no? I can't
work out from the /etc/rc{,.conf} stuff how this is supposed
to be done.

 o Should I be using gated or routed?
 o If I use routed, how do I get the routes into the kernel
at boot time (man routed is vague [to me] on this) - do I
just run route add ... a few times?
 o If I use route add, what do I add? Where do I put these
commands so /etc/rc runs them?
 o How do I stop routed from trying to send to the mcast
224.0.0.0 network?

TIA,
Adam.