Date:      Sat, 25 Feb 2006 22:45:48 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Steve Olisar <solisar@nextmediagroup.net>
Subject:   Re: PPI

--nextPart1423603.AkcVOqVo0C

On Saturday 25 February 2006 04:05, Steve Olisar wrote:
> Would it be possible to write a program that uses the parallel port to
> listen on the status pins in real time, when the status of a pin changes
> the program would read a config file and start/stop processes based on wh=
at
> is in the config file?  ex:  if status is either 0 or 1, the status of pin
> one changes from 0 to 1 the program would kill a process, start a process
> or both.  Possible?  I know nothing about PPI or programming so I am
> willing to pay someone to write this.  It doesn=B9t have to be pretty, ju=
st
> run daemonized and do the job.

PPI is pretty easy to use. The ppi(4) man page has a code fragment to get y=
ou=20
started.

The program you have in mind would be quite easy to write.. Read config, Op=
en=20
PPI, Daemonize, poll the parallel port.

The only problem is that the parallel port can't capture edges so you would=
=20
need to poll fairly frequently if you are trying to capture a button press.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum