Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 1995 22:22:26 -0400
From:      Allyn Hardyck <allynh@avsi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and MacX

How can I get my FreeBSD machine to accept requests to generate X
windows and send them back to a Mac running MacX?

- Doing an "rsh fbsd-machine xterm -display fbsd-machine2..." on
  fbsd-machine2 works, where both machine and machine2 are running
  FreeBSD and fbsd-machine2 is in fbsd-machine's .rhosts.

- Having a telnet window open to fbsd-machine on a Mac and running the
  xterm back from there to the Mac works, if MacX is up on the Mac.
  (i.e. not a problem with MacX)

- Opening a window from inside MacX to a non-FreeBSD machine
  works, using MacTCP Tool to send the name, password and display
  information.  (i.e. not a problem with MacX's password-passing
  functions)

What doesn't work is opening a window from inside MacX to a
local FreeBSD machine.  I'm assuming it's being paranoid about
stuff happening on not well known ports; a good thing, but how
do I selectively turn it off?

I'm running S-Key, but it's turned off for machines inside the network.

Thanks for any advice.

Allyn Hardyck
Avalanche Systems Inc.
allynh@avsi.com