Date:      29 May 2001 17:06:35 -0400
From:      Mark Evenson <evenson@panix.com>
To:        Jim Bayers <bayers@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Switching Back to kernel.old

Jim Bayers <bayers@yahoo.com> writes:

> How do I get the boot loader to load kernel.old
> instead of kernel.
>
> I followed the instructions in UPDATE, so I did an
> 'install kernel' before I did a 'install world'.
>
> Is there a way to get boot loader to load kernel.old
> automatically.

What works for me:

1)  Select the BSD partition from the boot loader (hit the F[1-4] key)

2)  when you see the "booting in 9 secs . . ." message, hit SPACE

3)  type:

ok unload
ok load /kernel.orig
ok boot

and that should do it.  I really haven't seen this well documented, but I
figured this out on my own one day so it is the recipe I use.

--
Mark Evenson <evenson@panix.com>

"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before, but there is
nothing to compare to it now."