Date:      Thu, 25 May 1995 13:24:45 -0400
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        u.washington.edu!spaz@dg-rtp.dg.com, ponds!rivers
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: More info about my sound card problems.

> Hi Dave;
>

> On Thu, 25 May 1995, Thomas David Rivers wrote:
>

> context cut ...
>

> > 3) The "chip manufacturer" is OPTi (I had to beg and plead to get that much.)
> >
> > 4) The IRQ settings, etc... are stored on an ASIC on the card, not in
> >    NVRAM.  So, a hard boot restores the default configuration.  If you
> >    want a different configuration; you have to program the chip.  (The
> >    tech. support guy indicated they weren't too happy with this situation,
> >    and several others, but OPTi wasn't about to change this.)
> >

> 	Would i be correct in assuming that this chip is a YM3812? If so,
> then given the designation, Is it possible that it is a Yamaha Musical
> Products original that they just second sourced to opti? My PAS has one
> of these on it, too.

  I don't know; I'll have to pull apart the machine and look.  The
less-than-helpful documentation with the card doesn't detail any technical
specifications.

> 	If it is, then there is a book about soundcards that i almost
> bought at Barnes and Noble ( and i cant remember the name ) that has the
> asm API to a butload of theser guys, so pleading at the unenthusiastic
> tech support may not be needed...

  I'll have to trek down there and look for it.  There's a Barnes and Noble
on my way home from work - I'd stop there today but my wife is going to
"Ladies night out," leaving me with my 19month old and 3 week old sons!

  (I forgot to tell everyone, we had another baby, on April 28th... after
that time, I've been trying to whittle down on my incoming mail; I just
broke the 2000 mark; hopefully, after this one starts sleeping through
the night, I can become a little more active on the list again.)

> > So - at this point I'd like to ask the group:
> >
> > 	1) Does anyone have OPTi's phone number, so I can call them
> > 	   directly.
> >
> > 	2) Are other sound cards that have this phenomena, if so,
> >            what to people do about the printer wanting to use IRQ 7.
> >

> 	Uh - oh! The soundcard interrupt aggravation rears it's ugly
> head! You're in for a bitch. It should be solvable. My crusty old
> Micronics 386 has a jumper setting for choosing the printer IRQ to either
> 7 or 5. The annoying part of this is that I wanted to keep my sio ports
> stock with the generic kernel, since that is my primary way of getting my
> upgrades into the system ( i only have one freebsd machine ). Int 5 is
> assigned to sio3 i believe...

  Yes, I had forgotten about simply moving the printer to IRQ 5 - but,
as you say, I'll have to regen a kernel just to get it.  I'm used to that,
since I have my NE2000 sitting at IRQ 9 instead of the default.

> 	I sort of have it all sorted out on my machine , but it really
> just takes a lot of annoying fiddling to get it all to fly. And u wind up
> with a much less generic kernel...

  That's really not too much off a problem, with the boot -c stuff...
It keeps getting easier all the time :-)

> hope this helps..

	  - Thanks -
	- Dave Rivers -