Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 17:07:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Tom Hukins <tom@eborcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/10857: NEW PORT: bind-8.2

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Tom Hukins wrote:

> The following reply was made to PR ports/10857; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Tom Hukins <tom@eborcom.com>
> To: bradh@uunet.co.za
> Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: ports/10857: NEW PORT: bind-8.2
> Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 19:40:25 +0100
>
>  On Mon, Mar 29, 1999 at 02:52:44PM +0200, bradh@uunet.co.za wrote:
>  >
>  > >Synopsis:       NEW PORT: bind-8.2
>
>  There is already a bind8 port in /usr/ports/net. It would probably
>  be better if you sent a patch to upgrade the existing port rather
>  than submitting a new port. See the Handbook for details on how to
>  upgrade a port.
>
>  Is there a good reason for having two bind8 ports?

NO.  There is already a candidate for bind-stable in the main freebsd
tree, so the bind port should track the latest release, and there should
only be one version out there.  People who want safety use the one
pre-installed, and those wanting the latest use the port.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).