Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:55:20 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is the CD driver supposed to attach() now regardless of media?

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote...
> > Your problem is most likely with sysinstall.  I've seen other folks
> > complain about having trouble with CD installs, and I think the bottom line
> > was that there was (is?) a problem with sysinstall.
>
> I doubt it - all sysinstall tries to do is mount the CDROM in the
> usual way; it doesn't do anything special.

Well, there are some things we can do to narrow it down:

- what kind of CDROM drive do you have
- since I assume you've already gotten 3.2 installed, how long does the
  probe message for your CDROM drive take to appear when you don't have
  any media in the drive?
- can you mount and read the FreeBSD CD okay?

There are some CDROM drives that take a *long* time to respond to read
capacity commands when there's no media in the drive.  So it can take over
a minute for the drive to show up when there's no media.

It may be that you're telling sysinstall to attempt to mount the CD during
the time the drive is still probing.  That's one possible explanation for
this.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry