Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 1996 11:02:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        longonic@luccioa1.itgate.mln.mts.dec.com (CARLO LONGONI @MLN)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I: freebsd questions

> [This message is converted from WPS-PLUS to ASCII]

[ This message converted from WPS-PLUS converted ASCII to 72 column ASCII ]

> I've bought the CD version of FreeBSD from Walnut Creek which included
> Xfree86 3.1.1 but I'm having some problems to use the last .
>
> First of all I will tell you something about my configuration ,I have
> a Compaq Presario 7150 Pentium 75 PCI with S3 Trio64 Svga card ,16 MB
> RAM ,520 MB Hard drive and a ATAPI CDROM (I know is not yet supported
> , but you think I will be able to use it in the future with a patch
> maybe ?...) .
>
> I have installed FreeBsd from a dos partition after having created a
> 133 MB Freebsd partition with the custom installation and I've
> installed the common distribution set plus the "system" sources and
> the xfree86 kit.
>
> After the installation I've configured XFree86 to use the X interface
> but trying to start it I've got the following error message :
>
> device not found /dev/mouse.
>
> After reading through the documentation I've realized that I had to
> reconfigure the kernel to have my mouse ( a normal PS/2 with two
> button) be recognised from the operating system.  So with the help
> of the LINT example I've created a MYKERNEL containing the
> following instruction :
>
> device psm0 at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr
>
> I've recreated successfully the kernel and I've tried again to run X
> application , and this time I've received the following error :
>
> no device found at 0x60
>
> With some diagnostic program I've checked that the PS2 mouse is
> actually at irq 12 address 0x60 so I can't understand why Freebsd is
> not able to find it .
>
> So at the end my question is how can I get to run X programs on my
> machine , what's wrong with my procedure or what's wrong in my
> machine ?

1)	The name of the PS/2 mouse device is /dev/psm0, not
	/dev/mouse

2)	You must specify the correct protocol line for a PS/2
	mouse in your XConfig.  See the XFree86 configuration
	"readme" that came with the package for details.

3)	In addition to:

device psm0 at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr

	You may also need to add:

# Options for psm:
options PSM_NO_RESET		#don't reset mouse hardware (some laptops)

	Especially if your mouse is really one of those keyboard
	pointer things.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---