Date:      Tue, 08 Jan 2002 10:11:05 +1030
From:      Michael Gratton <mike@vee.net>
To:        pjklist@ekahuna.com
Cc:        Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using bash as default shell for root

Philip J. Koenig wrote:

> Which brings me to: can anyone provide any insight as to what
> possible problems one might encounter if one were to do just this:
> statically compile bash, put it in /bin, make it root's default
> shell, and use it during single-user mode?

Why don't you just use the "toor" user - the "Bourne-again super user";
that is what it is there for. Set toor's shell to be bash and leav
root's shell alone. When you need to do any work as root, do a `su toor`
instead of just a `su`. When you're in single user mode, you'll default
to using root and you won't have any problems (apart from using a
non-bash shell for maintenance and emergency work).

Another alternative would be to use sudo, which also neatly circumvents
the problem.

I've used both mechanisms, and have been quite happy with them. I'm
tending to use sudo more than toor these days, mostly because it's more
convenient for me, secure, etc.

Mike.

--
Mike Gratton <mike@vee.net>
   Leader in leachate production and transmission since 1976.