Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 21:03:07 -0700
From:      "Brian O'Shea" <boshea@ricochet.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        djewett@snowcrest.net
Subject:   Re: Two questions....

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 06:26:36PM -0700, Derek Jewett wrote:
> I need to do two things to my FBSD box... I am running 3.1-RELEASE.
>
> First I need to set up a simple NFS export, to permit a remote nfsmount

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/nfs.html
	(hint: it will suggest "man exports")

> to my bsd box.. Also I need to set up a static NAT translation to
> translate addresses on one of my ethernet ports. Seems like I remember

$ man natd

The section titled "RUNNING NATD" is informative and concise.  Also,
some good examples are provided in /etc/rc.firewall and in the handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/firewalls.html

> doing this in the rc.conf file in 3.0.. If anyone could point me in the
> direction of some "basic steps" for setting either of these up would be
> a big time saver... thanks!

Changes to rc.conf will be a bit different than you are used to since
it only contains deltas from /etc/defalts/rc.conf (as of FreeBSD 3.1-R,
IIRC).  This is where default configuration settings are kept.  Add the
lines that need to be changed to /etc/rc.conf, don't modify
/etc/defaults/rc.conf directly.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to RTFM a little before asking! ;)
It can actually save you more time than waiting for an e-mail response.
The man pages and handbook are invaluable resources and are usually the
best place to start looking (apologies if you have already tried this,
but I couldn't tell from your posting).

-brian

--
Brian O'Shea