Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 17:14:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new TCP/IP bug in win95 (fwd)

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Jim Shankland wrote:

> Interesting.  So the TCP stack gets into a lively conversation with
> itself, since the source-address and port are the same as the
> destination address and port.
>
> The obvious fix would appear to be to drop such packets in tcp_input.c
> when the TCP state is TCPS_LISTEN.

As a temporary non-hacking fix, I had planned on just using ipfw to filter
out packets from myself.  Presumably the ipfw processing occurs before the
listen-ness of the arrangement is noticed :).  Maybe, if we haven't
already (have not checked), it should be a standard firewall rule that one
drop packets from oneself that come from other people.  Not sure how one
would implement that, though, without netstat -ni'ing or using ifconfig or
such, which is kind of a hack.

  Robert N Watson

Junior, Logic+Computation, Carnegie Mellon University  http://www.cmu.edu/
Network Administrator, SafePort Network Services  http://www.safeport.com/