Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 95 9:14:44 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        jbeukema@hk.super.net (John Beukema)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Denial of resource attacks

> Well, surprise, rm -r fails when the maximum path length is exceeded.  I
> was forced to write another shell script to step down the chain to the end
> and then remove the directories one by one.  Time down 1 1/2 hours (am not
> very good at shell programing).

This should be unlikely, since the directory is relatively pathed.  The
recursive descent chdirs.

> 3. Might it be a good idea to limit the creation of sub-directories
> when the max path length will be exceeded, so that rm -r will
> continue to work?

This is ineffective.  The limit is on the basis of the copyin of path
names using copyinstr -- the limit being PATH_MAX (1024).  A relatively
pathed create will not exceed the path length, even if the total
agregate path length from / would.  Unless you are suggesting the
path resoloution ought to determine the path length up to the path
component being created... In which case, happy FS hacking as you do
the necessary disallowing of all sym links and hard links on dirs
(even for root).  The current file system doesn't store the parent
directory of an inode; lookup would be prohibitively expensive, and
symbolic link translation on lookup is going to throw a wrench into
things big-time (it's unavoidable).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---