Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 13:46:05 +0100 (BST)
From:      Gordon Henderson <gordon@drogon.net>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Anyone using Adaptec 2940 & ASUS '486 boards?

It's probably not a specific FreeBSD question - but I'm trying to get
FreeBSD going on this combination.

  ASUS 486 mainboard (PVI-486SP3)
  AMD 486DX4/100 processor
  64MB RAM
  Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI card
  Cirrus 5436 PCI graphics card
  3com590 ethernet card
  and 3 SCSI disks. (No IDE's)

It doesn't work. The problems I see are the scsi disks not being
recognised by the firmware on the SCSI card or, the machine hanging during
the newfs part of an installation. It doesn't make any difference if the
ethernet card in in or not so I don't think thats causing the problem.

If I replace the PCI SCSI card with an old Adaptec ISA SCSI card then it
works fine, I can complete the install without a hitch.

If I take the 3 cards & memory and plug them into an ASUS P120 board then
it also works fine.

I have tried 2 different ASUS PVI-486SP3 mainboards and 2 different
Adaptec 2490 PCI SCSI carsd with no luck.

I've double checked the board jumpers & BIOS settings, altered them,
reset them back to defaults but with no luck.

Anyone seen any similar problems with ASUS 486 mainboards or the Adaptec
PCI SCSI cards?

Gordon