Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2018 12:06:38 +0300
From:      "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>
To:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FYI: how gpart show -p reports the same microsdhc card in a USB reader vs. in the microsdcard slot (on a Pine64+ 2GB)

--6RGP5xi2188r2gVfpgT70NyDthJFSG6X5
From: "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>
To: Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc: freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject: Re: FYI: how gpart show -p reports the same microsdhc card in a USB
 reader vs. in the microsdcard slot (on a Pine64+ 2GB)

--T4CgsxLSi1zbOSMCQvHzvhCJ71K0xQRiP

On 30.08.2018 17:12, Mark Millard via freebsd-arm wrote:
>> It's all but impossible to dig any meaning out of that jumbled wall of=

>> text, but from the subject line I surmise you're saying that an sdcard=

>> in a usb card reader shows a different geometry or size than that same=

>> card in a native sd slot. That's normal and expected and has always
>> been so.
>=20
> I mean that the mmcsd0 case does not show any equivalent of the:
>=20
> =3D>       0  62185470   da4s2  BSD  (30G)
>          0  62185470  da4s2a  freebsd-ufs  (30G)
>=20
> There is no explicit hint of a freebsd-ufs being present in the
> "freebsd" area in mmcsd0 gpart show output. (Yet it uses that
> area just fine.)
>=20
> It seemed odd to me even if it is expected for some reason.

Since you have only one partition in BSD label, it looks like GEOM_LABEL
has detected and grabbed it (and then it was mount as root file system)
before than GEOM_PART had a chance to taste it.

--=20
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov