Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 1995 10:33:00 -0500
From:      Rich Murphey <rich@lamprey.utmb.edu>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, roberto@keltia.Freenix.FR
Subject:   Re: XFree86 and the new malloc

|From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
|>Hey, wait a sec.  XFree86 3.1.2 does use -lgnumalloc.  We
|>had been testing it but only switched when it passed all the
|>alpha/beta tests, and that happened after 3.0 came out.
|
|Yes, XFree86 3.1.2 is linked to a nonstandard malloc.  This unfortunately
|means that people running the newest versions of everything, so that they
|have phkmalloc, the latest Xfree, and sig11's (:-), won't automatically
|be testing phkmalloc where testing/use is most important/beneficial.

People wanted gnumalloc linked into the server, so yes.  You
can build a phkmalloc shared library and call it
/usr/lib/libgnumalloc.so.2.0 if you want the 3.1.2 server to
use phkmalloc.  I've done this in the past to test the
server with various versions of malloc and I plan on doing
it again for the alpha/beta tests.

|FreeBSD-2.0.5 only has Xfree 3.1.1.  I don't use X much, and 3.2.2 doesn't
|work here (*), so I just use the version of the cdrom.
|
|(*) The W32 version used to hang waiting for a bit in ACL_ACCELERATOR_STATUS,
|always after switching the console back to X and sometimes at startup.  In
|3.1.2, it aborts early in initialization related to this when it references
|an uninitialized ACL_ACCELERATOR pointer.

OK, I'll forward this to the alpha list so they'll know.
Rich