Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 11:26:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>, "'freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>, deischen@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setjmp help for JDK

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Koster, K.J. writes:
>  > Dear All,
>  >
>  > I've been pounding my head into the Sun JDK to FreeBSD/alpha. I learn a lot
>  > about Java this way, but I digress.
>  >
>  > Is there someone who can help me with the green threads implementation of
                                               ^^^^^
This means that you're not using FreeBSD native threads, correct?

>  > that beast? What happens is that it jumps into the first thread's execution
>  > code but instead jumps blindly off the signal 11 cliff.
>  >
>  > Would someone please help me with this part of the porting process? I'm
>  > looking for someone who can help me debug this code. I've never debugged
>  > setjmp() threads in C before and I need a place to start.
>
> Can you produce a small, stand-alone program which demonstrates this
> problem?  Eg. some variation on 'hello-world.c' that could be posted
> to this list and doesn't require people to jump through all the
> flaming hoops of downloading the jdk, etc?
>
> I've CC'ed Daniel Eischen, perhaps he might be interested in helping
> too.
>
> Drew
>
> PS: What version of FreeBSD are you using?  There were some major thread
> problems corrected just prior to 4.2-RELEASE (like, a few hours prior).

I think that he's using Suns Java threads library, not FreeBSD native
threads - so any problems with FreeBSD threads shouldn't affect him.

I still might be able to help, though, so if you've got a simple
test program that demonstrates the problem, send it to us.  I don't
have the time and disk space right now to download the JDK and
try building it myself (nor do I have an Alpha ;-)).

--
Dan Eischen