Date:      Thu, 08 Apr 1999 13:36:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        Johan =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5rtensson?= <balrog@swipnet.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SB16 problems

On 08-Apr-99 Johan Mårtensson wrote:
> Johan Mårtensson wrote:
>
>> Patrick Gardella wrote:

>> > What does dmesg show (related to sb0)?
>> > Mine is:
>> >
>> > sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
>> > snd0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
>> > sbxvi0 at drq 5 on isa
>> > snd0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
>> > sbmidi0 at 0x330 on isa
>> > snd0: <SoundBlaster MPU-401>
>> > opl0 at 0x388 on isa
>> > snd0: <Yamaha OPL3 FM>
>> >
>> > <SNIP>

>> > You sure it's irq 7 on your soundcard?  What's it configured for?
>> > My card uses irq 5.  That would do it.  See if dmesg says something
>> > like sb0 not found.  Does "cat /dev/sndstat" return anything?
>> >
>> > Also, you could try pcm0 instead of the sb0 code.
>> >
>> > Patrick
>>
>> I've tried irq 5 no difference.  When I boot it says sbmidi0 not
>> found at 0x330, I think that in Linux I put this to 0x0 but if i do
>> that here (I've tried) then it isn't loaded because the kernel tells
>> me that it is in conflict with sbxvi0!  By the way the sbmidi0 not
>> found at 0x330 came when I used irq 7 as well.

Then what irq do you have it set to?  And what port?  0x220 and irq5 is
normal for sb0.

And you may not have a midi on the card, so that's not unusual.

Send back a print out of the sb sections of the dmesg.

>> # cat /dev/sndstat
>> cat: /dev/sndstat: No such file or directory.

If it's not finding the card, it won't show a sndstat.

>> what is the line for pcm? (device sb0    at isa? port 0x220 irq 5
>> conflicts drq 1 vector), my guide to FreeBSD is "The Complete
>> FreeBSD" and it covers every driver but pcm (it  mentions it but
>> there is no line for it).

That's becuase pcm0 is new code and came out after the book was
published.

The line is:
device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x0

Remove all traces of snd0, sb0, etc.

Of course, if your LINT file doesn't list pcm0, then your version of
FreeBSD is too old to use it.  (What version are you using?)

Patrick

---
Patrick S. Gardella                    Director of Web Development
The Creative Group    1-800-804-0783 ext 29     606-858-8029 (fax)
http://www.cre8tivegroup.com                 PGP Key ID 0xEE2D47A9