Date:      Sun, 08 Sep 2002 16:26:16 -0700
From:      Dave Tweten <tweten@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Portupgrade Question

Portupgrade is a vast improvement over the gawk script I used to use to parse
ports Makefiles to determine the current package name for each port and to
conclude which ports in /var/db/pkg needed to be rebuilt.  It was an ugly
process, though mostly effective.  Portupgrade is a fine replacement.  Life
would be beautiful, except for two problems.

There are still interactive makefiles (such as the Ghostscripts), making it
impossible to update ports automatically.  I don't anticipate any help there
soon.

But I am hoping for some help cleaning up secondary ports.  I just did an "ls
/var/db/pkg | wc -l."  It returned 157.  My file of desired ports, that gets
cat'ed as the operand list for portupgrade only wc's 33.  The difference may
largely be due to adding Gnumeric to the list of desired ports.

Anyway, I'm looking for a way to use portupgrade and my list of desired ports
to find secondary ports that aren't needed and delete them.  So far, the man
pages and my imagination haven't been up to the task.  Is there a more fertile
imagination out there with an answer?

Any insight will be much appreciated.
--
M/S 258-5                     | 1024-bit PGP fingerprint: | tweten@nas.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center     |  41 B0 89 0A  8F 94 6C 59 |      (650) 604-4416