Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 2015 09:55:02 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to use u-boot-beaglebone port?

On Mar 16, 2015, at 3:39 PM, Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2015-03-15 at 19:57 -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>>> On Mar 12, 2015, at 5:59 PM, Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu> =
wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Has anyone successfully used the sysutils/u-boot-beaglebone port?
>>>=20
>>> I managed to build [1] and install it today.  I tried to install it =
to the SD card FAT partition, as per the README, and the result was an =
unbootable system.
>>>=20
>>> When I copied the u-boot.img file as u-boot.img (rather than the =
bb-uboot.img as suggested in the README), I got it to start up to the =
"U-Boot#" prompt.
>>=20
>>=20
>> Apparently, no one ever patched the port to use bb-uboot.img and =
bb-ubldr
>> as the name.
>>=20
>> I did this in Crochet when I was experimenting with having multiple
>> U-Boots on a single SD card image.  That experiment was to try
>> to see what would be required to build single images that booted on
>> multiple different devices.
>>=20
>=20
> When I created the u-boot-beaglebone port I specifically removed that
> bb- prefix stuff, because there will never be a unified image that =
runs
> on both rpi and beaglebone [*].  I had hoped someone would update
> crochet to use the new ports and this is one of the minor changes that
> would be needed on the crochet side.
>=20
> -- Ian
>=20
> [*] Because armv6 !=3D armv7 in this case.  While armv6 is synonymous =
with
> armv7 for most purposes in freebsd, the rpi is the exception to that =
in
> that it really IS armv6, and that leads to the kernel being built with
> different cache maintenance routines that don't work on armv7.

Does the sysutils/u-boot-beaglebone boot the BeagleBone Black for you?  =
As I reported earlier in the start to this thread, I can't get it to =
boot the system for me.

I've copied MLO, u-boot.img, and /boot/ubldr to the FAT partition, but I =
just get to where U-Boot loads ubldr and then pauses before starting =
over again in a loop.

Are there some other files that need to be copied to the FAT partition, =
or are those three files, plus the defaults compiled into u-boot.img =
sufficient to boot the BeagleBone Black from SD card?

Cheers,

Paul.