Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 15:15:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Are we a Political Action Committee ?

Mr. Hasty's letter to Dan Morales regarding Dell and Compaq is the
inspiration for this question. Are we a Politcal Action Committee?

Politics are of local interest. This is a global forum.

Politics are of interest to individuals and the government whom they live
under. This is a group and is not beholden to any particular government.

Emotive political discussion on this list can only cause division. This
should not happen.

As a member of this group, I am woe to be included, by default, in
positions and opinions that I do not, myself, agree with. To make an
incredibly graphic example, "A letter to the President of the United
States: We, the members of the FreeBSD community, think that you should
nuke Dubai because they don't use enough FreeBSD." Ridiculous, perhaps.
Would you like it if I sent off such a letter and plastered the FreeBSD
name _or your name_ all over it?

  -- What do you mean, No!?

FreeBSD-advocacy should not be _directly_ engaged in the politics of
governments.

Thank you,       | Try some of this. It will show you where you're at.
Jason Wells	 | http://www.freebsd.org/