Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2012 21:22:03 +0100
From:      Bas Smeelen <b.smeelen@ose.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MFC: Distributed audit daemon committed (was: svn commit: r243752 - in head: etc etc/defaults etc/mail etc/mtree etc/rc.d share/man/man4 usr.sbin usr.sbin/auditdistd (fwd)) (fwd)

On 12/18/12 18:44, Chris H wrote:
>> On 12/18/12 16:18, Robert Watson wrote:
>>> Dear all:
>>>
>>> Just an FYI that the new distributed audit daemon has been MFC'd to
>>> 9
>>> 20121201:
>>>           With the addition of auditdistd(8), a new auditdistd user is now
>>>           depended on during installworld.  "mergemaster -p" can be used
>>> to add
>>>           the user prior to installworld, as documented in the handbook.
>>>
>>> should be "prior to installkernel" then also instead of "prior to
>>> installworld"
> Greetings,
>   FWIW, I just performed an build(world||kernel) && install(world||kernel) yesterday.
> I used the following:
>
> cd /usr/src
>
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=<mykern_name_here>
> make install KERNCONF=<mykern_name_here>

Hi
I guess you did make installkernel instead of just make install
KERNCONF=<mykern_name_here> ?

I did a day ago on a 9.1-RC3:

freebsd-update
make buildkernel
make installkernel

Then got prompted that the auditdistd user did not exist so I had to add
it prior to installing the kernel.
But this was when going from 9.1-RC3 to 9.1-RELEASE
So I copied the bits from a CURRENT machine where everything went fine
using the standard buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, mergemaster
-p, installworld, mergemaster procedure

So that was not the usual way, but just using freebsd-update and
installing a custom kernel.

On CURRENT it went al well.

Never mind and thanks.

> reboot to single user...
>
> mount -u /
> mount -a
>
> cd /usr/src
> mergemaster -p
> blah,blah,blah...
> make installworld
> mergemaster
> reboot
>
> All of the auditdistd bits were merged into my system, and all is well.
> Isn't that the way Updating lists the "correct" order?

Yes it is. I did an unusual combination of binary update and then
building and installing a custom kernel.