Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:46:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@Phoenix.Volant.ORG
To:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: overheating AMD K6-2 400

On 25-Aug-00 at 08:46, Glenn Johnson (gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov) wrote:
> My questions are: Does it sound like the AMD chip is shot or can I try
> to enhance the cooling somehow and still use it? Or would I be better
> off getting another CPU? If I get another CPU should I get another AMD
> or should I go with one of the Cyrix MII models? I would want to put in
> a CPU that was at least 400 MHz.

I'd replace the on-chip fan/heat sink; and make sure it made
good contact via thermal grease.

Then I'd add additional cooling to the case - probably one of
the fan modules that fit in a PCI/ISA slot; and one that fits
in a drive bay with a front-panel slot.  (Assuming that you
have both free.)  The advantage of this is that even if you
do wind up replacing the CPU, they are still helpful for the
replacement system.

I've been happy with my AMD based systems (ranging from a 133MHz
5x86 upgrade in a 486 socket to an Athlon 550); so I see no reason
to change.  Possibly someone with more in-depth knowlege of the
heating characteristics of various chips might disagree.

-Pat