Date:      Sat, 29 May 2010 22:37:29 +0000
From:      Andrew Hotlab <andrew.hotlab@hotmail.com>
To:        <samankaya@netscape.net>, <freebsd-jail@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Creating jails to run Squid and multiple Bind services - Newbee

> Date: Sat=2C 29 May 2010 23:46:31 +0300
> From: SamanKaya@netscape.net
> To: freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
> Subject: Creating jails to run Squid and multiple Bind services - Newbee
>
> Hi=2C
>
> am attempting to create a set of Jails for the first time!!

Welcome to the club! :)  If you are coming from Solaris Zones it won't take=
 you much time to feel at home with FreeBSD Jails.

> So far what I've done is this:
>
> cd /usr/src
> make buildworld
>

> I straight away then get an error saying:
>
> /usr/src/usr.bin/make
>
> ***error code 2
>
> Stop in /usr/src
>
> ***error code 1
>
> Basically what I want to do is something very similar to how I use
> Solaris Zones=3B create a directory structure which will run 1 specific
> service only on a specific IP address....
>
> I am not certain if I can run 2 instances of Bind in two different Jails
> but would be cool if I could.
>
> I just have no idea how to start!! :-(
>
> I really appreciate if someone could give me a hand getting started as
> I'm totally lost on creating the jails as I can configure the services
> that I need to run in them easily!!
>
> Am on BSD 8.0 RELEASE 'current' edition x64.

If you are a newcomer to FreeBSD=2C I suggest you to use a -RELEASE or erra=
ta branch. -CURRENT is for developers and "hardcore" users.

To make a so-called "service jail" actually seems the way to get what you a=
re looking for=2C but I think you will feel much better by using a full jai=
l management framework such ezjail (http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/url.cgi?port=
s/sysutils/ezjail/pkg-descr).  It will definitely help you to get a working=
 environment in minutes=2C enabling you to manage it with a more "Zones-lik=
e" approach.
This tool is also interesting because it makes all jails use a single read-=
only userland=2C thus keeping both disk space consumption and administrativ=
e efforts low.

That's the easy way=2C just to make you "feel the power" without spend too =
much time... but I strongly suggest you to make your hands dirty by followi=
ng the "official way" to build jails=2C to really understand how this great=
 OS partitioning system works!  The better source is obviously the Handbook=
 (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/jails.html).
When I was a newcomer to jails=2C I wrote something about my first experien=
ces=2C maybe it might be agreeable to have a look at it:
http://weblogs.valsania.it/bsdlab/2007/07/04/freebsd-jail-=93how-to=94/

Hoping that these little suggestions will be somewhat useful to you.

Sincerely.

Andrew

 		 	   		 =20
Hotmail: Free=2C trusted and rich email service.
https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx?id=3D60969=