Date:      Sun, 13 Nov 2011 22:52:48 -0500
From:      "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>, Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>, Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@amdmi3.ru>
Subject:   Re: Recent ports removal

On 13.11.2011 16:20, Doug Barton wrote:
> You turned a comparison of the discussion of the concept of ports
> removal generally to the removal of individual ports and turned it into
> an ad hominem attack on the quality of*my*  reasoning.

Huh?

> This is an excellent example of why I, for one, don't bother replying substantively
> to your messages anymore.

And yet, you are going to have to... Because you are not doing your
removals as an individual committer (if you were, your desire to remove
a port could've been stopped by *my* desire to keep it). And as long as
you imply having some sort of governing authority behind you (such as a
portmgr hat -- permanent or temporary), you need to justify your actions
to keep the consent of the governed.

But I'm not asking you to reply to the uncivil, sarcastic, and otherwise
flawed *me*. My proposal was for you and the rest of the "removers" to
articulate your reasoning on a web-page. That would carry your message
(calmly thought-through and edited) to all users and colleagues alike,
including those too polite to question your actions publicly. Please,
oblige.

On 13.11.2011 16:31, Chris Rees wrote:
> Oh my.... it's two months ago.

Yes. And my recollection from back then is that portmgr was reviewing
the issue (in the quiet of Olympus away from the noise of all the silly
mortals) and was going to render their decision (eloquently and
convincingly to all)... That has not happened, but the removals continue
to this day...

> Can we move on? Ports are deprecated and removed.
> Insecure/unmaintained ports are harmful.

No, we can not move on. It should, by now, be obvious to all, that there
is no consensus on when a port should be removed. And yet, a fraction of
the committers take it upon themselves to remove ports based on their
own credentials -- much to the dissatisfaction of the opposing fraction.
I fail to see, why or how the opinion of crees@ and dougb@ outweighs
that of stas@ and mi@. To be sure, both factions have other members, but
nobody conducted a vote -- and we don't even know, what such a vote
would mean anyway.

Yours,

    -mi