Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:54:50 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gstripe oder graid3 on USB-Sticks

--------------enig4113C3AFA587C3D7F77399C4

Raphael H. Becker wrote:
> Hello *,
>=20
> today I bought 3 USB sticks to find out, if there's something to play=20
> with GEOM on it. My FreeBSD ist 6.2-RC1.

> umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR

As someone who had the same idea recently I can tell you that the
problem you're seeing is almost certainly in the motherboard. My sticks
draw ~250 mA, but it turns out my 4 USB ports are wired such that they
all share the same 500 mA source, resulting in weird and random
appearing errors when all three are connected.

Try finding separately powered USB ports (new motherboards often have
them on board but lack the connectors).