Date:      Wed, 27 Apr 2011 15:49:11 -0400
From:      Michael Proto <mike@jellydonut.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: correct way to setup gmirror on 7.4?

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Helmut Schneider <jumper99@gmx.de> wrote:
> Michael Proto wrote:
>> Am I using the correct process to create this array?
>
> No. While this works with MBR it fails with GPT as GPT and GEOM both
> want to use the last sector of the disk.
>
> First create the mirror and after that gpart it. It will create a
> message like
>
> GEOM: da0: the secondary GPT header is not in the last LBA.
> GEOM: da1: the secondary GPT header is not in the last LBA.
>
> which afaik is ignorable. At least it works fine here and I didn't find
> any caveats in the net.
>
> Another workaround is not to mirror the disk but only slices or
> partitions.
>
> HTH, Helmut

Thank you for the advice and direction, but I'm still a bit confused.
In my setup I am mirroring only partitions, creating partitions ad4p1,
ad6p1, ad4p2 and ad6p2 with gpart first, and then mirrors gm0p1 and
gm0p2 on top of those. I'd prefer not to mirror the whole disk. The
"primary GPT table is corrupt or invalid" error I'm seeing is with
this configuration.

Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

-Proto