Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2006 23:46:01 -0800
From:      Alexander Botero-Lowry <alexbl@freebsd.org>
To:        Karel Miklav <karel@lovetemple.net>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCons build, help needed

> Alex, thanks for your reply. stiv @ blender forums pointed me to the
> sixth paragraph in the SCons' manual:
>
> "scons does not automatically propagate the external environment used to
> execute scons to the commands used to build target files. This is so
> that builds will be guaranteed repeatable regardless of the environment
> variables set at the time scons is invoked. ..."
Which is just _absurd_ and horrible. It makes it nearly impossible for
operating systems to legitimately package these applications and it makes
for users having applications build in ways that are unexpected and unwanted.
This is one of the larger reasons that XMMS2 is moving towards waf. We've had
to put a lot of pain into making ourselves integrate well with the various
packaging systems because of this attitude.

> I don't know how do they want to integrate with other build tools, but
> the current mechanism in bsd.scons.mk is left at the mercy of each SCons
> user. What do you think?

What bsd.scons.mk implements is the common case, most SCons using ports that
bother to obey external environment at all follow these patterns;
CCFLAGS/CXXFLAGS/LINKFLAGS/PREFIX sometimes LIBPATH/CPPPATH passed on command
line to scons (not as part of the external environment). It's called like:
scons CCFLAGS="-O2".

So bsd.scons.mk is implemented in a way that gets in many scons using ports
(not all). So the answer to ports that don't obey this pattern is to make them
do so.

Alex