Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 2015 14:49:05 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Mark.Martinec+freebsd@ijs.si
Subject:   Re: Latest stable (r287104) bash leaves zombies on exit

> I can reproduce this easily, although not every time.

Ah, thats good to hear, as it means I am not going completely mad,
thanks! :)

> Running 10.2 under KDE, with bash as a default shell:
> start xterm from a KDE 'konsole', then move to within the xterm
> and try closing it (^D or exit). More often than not the xterm
> will block and stay open, the bash process within goes <defunct>.

As you can reproduce this, is it possible for you to find out
if the issue is with bash or xterm ? i.e. if you change the
shell to /bin/sh then does it still do it ? That would help
track it down...

> There is no need to reboot, just kill -9 the hanging xterm processes
> and the init will clear the zombies.

Thats saved me a lot of time ;) I had this idea that zombies
will only go away on a reboot.

-pete.