Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 00:40:07 +0000 ()
From:      David Nugent <davidn@sdev.blaze.net.au>
To:        skynet1@cris.com
Cc:        Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Checking mail

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Charlie Root wrote:

>Help! When I check my mail in FreeBSD as ROOT, I can't figure
>out how to read them and trash them...they keep piling up!!

'mail'.

Since you don't really want to log in as root (much), then it is
quite common to redirect mail for root to a standard user
account. After you create the account, add a sendmail alias (to
/etc/aliases).

>Help! I don't know how to create users on my system that are
>aliases to other users, (same home directories, same mail box)

See above.

>Help!! I downloaded, for XFree, all the binaries, and the SVGA
>and VGA servers, and the english fonts... I configured it but I
>doesn't wanna work! What do I type? Startx seems to come up with
>error messages and Initx doesn't register as a program.

Read the error messages. That's a start. :)

You probably need to run xf86config.

>HELP!! Is it possible for me to have more than 3 TTYs on my
>computer (the default)??

Yes. Build a new kernel with the "options MAXCONS=" you want, and
then edit your /etc/ttys to tell init to start up getty processes
on the other vts, so you can log in on them.

>Please respond ASAP! Please NOT to this address but to
>Skynet1@Cris.com

You would probably have gotten faster answers if you had first
consulted the freebsd handbook. All of the above is in there, and
it is installed on your system.

Regards,
David

David Nugent, Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-791-9547 Data/BBS +61-3-792-3507 3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn