Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 10:34:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        uros.juvan@arnes.si (Uros Juvan)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: route

> I'm running 2.2.1 and I just noticed strange routes in my routing table.
> netstat -nr reported things like:
> <some_ppp_ip>        gateway         UGHDM       0     4119       ep0
>                                         ^ - Created dynamically (by redirect)
>
> This and similar routes apeared in the routing table by themself even without
> routed being ran.

You've received an "ICMP Redirect" message.  They will generate a route
without you running any kind of routing daemon.

The redirect message is issued by a router when it believes there is a
better route to your destination than itself.  The router may know that
because of his own use of routing protocols, or the network manager may
have loaded static routes into the router.

The redirect message says, "I'll handle this packet for you, but in the
future you'd be better off sending packets to this host over there."

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)              Brother, can you paradigm?
602-953-1392  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com  crl22@aol.com