Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 16:27:12 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.Technion.AC.IL>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: technical comparison

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 08:17:12AM -0400, Andresen,Jason R. wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 10:27:27PM +0300, Nadav Eiron wrote:
> > > I ran tests that I think are similar to what Jason ran on identically
> > > configured FreeBSD and Linux/ReiserFS machines. ResierFS is much much
> > > faster than UFS+softupdates on these tests.
> > >
> > > Linux (2.2.14-5 + ReiserFS):
> > > Time:
> > >         164 seconds total
> > >         97 seconds of transactions (103 per second)
> > >
> > > Files:
> > >         65052 created (396 per second)
> > >                 Creation alone: 60000 files (1090 per second)
> > >                 Mixed with transactions: 5052 files (52 per second)
> > >         4936 read (50 per second)
> > >         5063 appended (52 per second)
> > >         65052 deleted (396 per second)
> > >                 Deletion alone: 60104 files (5008 per second)
> > >                 Mixed with transactions: 4948 files (51 per second)
> > >
> > > Data:
> > >         24.83 megabytes read (155.01 kilobytes per second)
> > >         336.87 megabytes written (2.05 megabytes per second)
> > >
> > > FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE (ufs/softupdates):
> >
> > Did you enable write caching?  You didn't mention, and it's off by
> > default in 4.3, but I think enabled by default on Linux.
>
> I tried to leave the FreeBSD and Linux boxes as unchanged as possible for
> my tests (they are lab machines that have other uses, although I made sure
> they were idle during the test periods).
>
> I left write caching enabled in the Linux boxes, and left it disabled on
> the FreeBSD boxes.  Personally, I'm hesitant to enable write caching
> on FreeBSD because we tend to use it on machines where we really really
> don't want to lose data.  Write caching is ok on the Linux machines
> because we use them as pure testbeds that we can reconstruct easily if
> their disks go south.

If the tests on the Linux machines are made to simulate how those Linux
machines would operate if used as production servers, then do that:
configure the Linux machines exactly as if they were your production
servers.  That is, if you want write caching off on production servers,
turn it off at test time.

G'luck,
Peter

--
If you think this sentence is confusing, then change one pig.