Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:02:12 -0700
From:      emre n/a <emre@uoregon.edu>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   gem0 problems with 6.2

Hello,

I'm having a lot of difficulty getting networking to work.  I have a
grey 867Mhz PowerMac G4 (with mirrored drive doors).  It's a vanilla
install.

In dmesg I get:

[...]
gem0: <Apple GMAC3 Ethernet Adaptor> mem 0xf5200000-0xf53fffff irq 41
at device 15.0 on pci2
miibus0: <MII bus> on gem0
ukphy0: <Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface on miibus0
ukphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX. 1000baseT,
1000baseT-FDX, auto
gem0: 10kB RX FIFO, 4kB TX FIFO
gem0: Ethernet address: 00:03:93:bb:ea:de

In rc.conf I have defaultrouter="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" and
ifconfig_gem0="inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" set.
Netstat shows absolutely no traffic, I can't even connect to machines
on the local subnet.  Our network is setup to give out IPs using
DHCP, and also automatically assigns a 2001: IPv6 number.  Neither
happens here.  The network cable is plugged in and I can confirm that
nothing is wrong with the network (plugging a different machine into
the same ethernet jack works without any problems -- static, DHCP and
IPv6 configs all work fine and as planned).

here's the ifconfig gem0 output:

gem0:  flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
                 options=9<VLAN_MTU>
                 inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 0ffffff00 broadcast
xxx.xxx.xxx.255
                 ether 00:003:93:bb:ea:de
                 media:  Ethernet autoselect (none)

with "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" being my real IP and netmask respectively.
netstat -rn also shows me the correct gateway.

I've also tried NetBSD/macppc with these settings and it seems to
work fine.  I've run out of possible solutions for this.  Does anyone
know what could be wrong?  I wanted to try out one of the -current
ISOs, but unfortunately they don't boot (gives me kernel panic in the
middle of booting sysinst).

Take care

(P.S. I'm not yet on this list, so feel free to cc or reply to me in
private)