Date:      Wed, 20 May 2020 13:17:14 +0200
From:      Ede Wolf <listac@nebelschwaden.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving sources (base/ports) from /usr

My bad. Very sorry. I totally forgot to mention, that root has changed
it's login shell to /bin/sh. I do not use csh at all.

So /etc/profile is being read and the SOURCEDIR is a valid environmental
variable, as can be seen from the first echo $SOURCEDIR.

It somehow does just not get handed down to mergemaster - unless
exported again on the command line.

I'll have a more in depth read through the explanation of Polytropon and
sh(1) and certainly will give that a go. Very likely mergemaster calls
it's own /bin/sh and that would then require the .shrc.

Even though I still maintain, an export in [.]profile should be handed
down to every subshell, unless overwritten. But I'm afraid, stubborness
does not get me any further, unfortunately.

Tanks again, I'll report back.