Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2003 07:52:19 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: C coding editor

Wes Peters wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 February 2003 09:57 am, Jason Andresen wrote:
> > Even if I never have to print out on a printer like that, who's to
> > say nobody else is?  You will no doubt turn people away if they open
> > up your code in their favorite programming editor and all of the
> > lines wrap a few characters.  Worse if they are already at the
> > maximum size their screen/eyeballs can support.
>
> I rejected programming to the least common denominator in equipment.
> You should try it too, it's incredibly liberating.  The legions of
> programmers under the age of 25 holding up 80x25 "consoles" as some
> sort of mantra is just weird, and the idea of cramming a video card
> capable of a million 3d triangles per second into a machine so some
> dumbass can use it as a vt220 just makes me roll on the floor.  Of
> course you probably didn't live through paying $75,000 for workstations
> with a tenth that 3D performance.

I blame this on people unsuited to writing software getting CS degrees
and/or programming jobs, because they think that that's where the money
is at.  Luckily, they later find out that salary is a matter of merit,
much more than it's a matter of having paper credentials, and if you
haven't blown at least one test because you wer in the CS lab until 5AM
playing with the new Retrogrpahics cards and high persistance phosphor
tubes, and slept through your alarm, well...  8-) 8-).  Very soon, these
people end up finding gainful employment asking people if they would like
fries with that.

> I use what is mostly likely a different font from what you use for
> coding every day.  I do all of my coding on FreeBSD, most of it in
> Emacs, and use lucidatypewriter (less and less) or luxi mono for most
> of it.  My own code often goes as wide as 120 characters because
> anything more than that won't fit comfortably on a 1024 pixel wide
> screen, which is a much better default than 80 columns these days.

I personally attribute the majority of very long lines to deep
structure element nesting, which everyone seems happy to do these
days, and long_variable_names_which_try_to_be_meaningful_but_fail.
Hell, you can't add two of those together, even with a "+=", and
not wrap the line at least once...

> No, but your editor really ought to be able to interpret tab stops
> correctly at like 0.5 in increments.  Code editors on the Mac have
> been doing this for years.

If editors like this were more common, it would be a lot easier to
justify use of proportional fonts in coding editors.  I don't think
anyone really cares how many characters there are after a tabstop,
so long as the visual layout is uniform to the left of the code.  If
you use indentation, this still works, no mater what your font, as
long as there are fixed indentations per tab (IMO).

-- Terry