Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:56:20 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Simple questions, MAKE_ARGS in pkgtools.conf

On 2005-01-28 01:27, Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org> wrote:
>Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>> [snip stuff about MAKE_ARGS and /var/db/ports/*/options]
>>
>> Yes, options on the command line (i.e. those passed by portupgrade) will
>> affect the way make builds the port _and_ will be saved by the ports
>> infrastructure in /var/db/ports.
>
> Yes it was, my question now is whats the point of MAKE_ARGS when
> options are saved in /var/db/ports and are used when you upgrade a
> port?....Arggg...

Not all ports have OPTIONS=foo magic.  MAKE_ARGS works with *all* the
ports of the tree.  AFAIK, /var/db/ports/*/options works only with the
ports that use OPTIONS=... stuff in their Makefile.

> I just looked in /var/db/ports and not all the options are there, i.e. I
> look for horde (it not even in there) and php4 and it says nothing about
> the options I built it with, WITHOUT_MYSQL=yes WITH_POSTGRESQL=yes, nor
> are apache13, postgres74, openldap22-server in there. What really scares
> me about this is if I run portupgrade it will fsck my production server
> up by not building the ports with the correct options, I'm starting to
> feel that the only way I can trust the ports system is if I manually
> upgrade all the ports by hand, I really need some advice and pointers to
> docs.

Alternatively, you can set up MAKE_ARGS and delete
/var/db/ports/*/options every time you want a clean port upgrade ;-)