Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 11:44:39 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Tony Overfield <tony@dell.com>
Cc:        "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>, Janick.Taillandier@ratp.fr (Janick Taillandier), freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Optiplex GXPro Dual will not boot

Hi,

> On Thu, May 08, 1997 at 17:31:30 -0400 (EDT), John W. DeBoskey wrote:
> >>   The GENERIC kernel builds and boots just fine on this machine.
> >>An SMP kernel starts to boot, but comes to a standstill just
> >>after printing out the following msg:
> >>
> >>BIOS basemem(638K) != RTC basemem(640K), setting to BIOS value.

to track this down I will need a tester who has this board/problem to
run test code.  the clues point to the bootstrap code being placed
in the wrong area of lower memory.

the first thing to do is sprinkle printf()s thru

 sys/i386/i386/mp_machdep.c: 	mp_probe() & mp_enable()

print the passed args to each.  try and bracket the location where we go
off the deep end...
--
Steve Passe	| powered by