Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 22:01:41 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk (Philippe Regnauld)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

> > This should probably wait for ELF, though, since all the other BSD's
> > are ELF now...
>
> 	Argh.  Now my question :-) -- apart from our ports/package system,
> 	there also exists at least 2 other package systems out there (all
> 	Linux):
>
> 	- debian package (with hard/soft dependencies scheme)
> 	- RedHat
>
> 	And I know we have the "rpm" tool in /usr/port/misc.
>
> 	How difficult/sick/twisted would it be to have some kind
> 	of skeleton like "ports" which would be a superset of
> 	wrappers for RPM/Debian _packages_ (not so many, only
> 	the binary stuff we can't get in source), and then
> 	go into the "/usr/ports/blah/foo" and do make, just
> 	like we did when BSDI Netscape was in ports ?
>
> 	(or even better: pkg_add ApplixWare-x.x.rpm) ?

I think you will want the ports/packages framework.  The FreeBSD
framework is less system dependent in that it can rely on source
instead of binary without having to build a per package script
specifically for each thing to be compiled.

I would discourage rpm.

I actually see this as an opportunity to get a set of tools that
is the same across all BSD platforms.  The problem with doing Linux
at the same time (by adopting the Linux tools) is threefold:

1)	BSDI is unlikely to be willing to have to become a GPL
	code distribution site (more than they already have to by
	virtue of GCC).

2)	None of the BSD's are likely to want to include GPL'ed code
	as a critical system component.  RPM can never be more than
	an "also-ran", IMO.

3)	Linux, of course, should adopt the FreeBSD tools so it can
	use the packages disks out of the box.  ;-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.