Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 13:27:32 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Moritz <moritz@eurocompton.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Maximal (sensible) size of a partition

On 2002-11-02 16:38, Moritz <moritz@eurocompton.net> wrote:
> I want to add a new 20 GB hard drive to my router/printer
> server/fileserver. Does it make sense to make a big 20 GB partition
> and if not, why?

That depends highly on what type of data you are going to store there.
I have a large 30 GB partition under /home where I store all sorts of
data that I want to keep away from /, /var and /usr upgrades.  It
seems to work fine so far, but it's a bit slow because of the initial
8192:1024 block and fragment sizes that I used.  You might want to
split the large disk in parts that you newfs with different block or
fragment sizes to get an optimal setup of speed vs. space.

> Oh, and do you think it makes sense at all to integrate a 20 GB hard
> drive into a P133 which shall share these 20 GB to three other
> machines and is performing routing at the same time, or is this
> machine too slow for this task?

A P133 works fine as my primary workstation here.  Agreed, it doesn't
do much in the area of routing or network load, but it can happily run
fairly big compiles in the background as I surf the net, read email or
chat with friends.

Giorgos.